Tuesday 19 February 2013

Forbidden Pieces Research

Research for my thriller film Forbidden Pieces (Blog Draft) -626 words
For the title of my film, I researched different films that had similar film ideas to mine and tried to think of a title that would represent my idea but not give it away as soon as someone read it. I looked at different musical words with other adjectives and came up with these ideas and after asking those from my target audience they agreed that Forbidden Pieces would be the best title.
>Swinging Life. > Forbidden Pieces
> Crescendoing complications > Paper Cut
This is because some of the scenes I believe a younger audience wouldn’t understand, yet there are parts that I believe students can relate to better than adults – that is also why I have based my film in a school with a student around education – something that influences students every day, or that they can relate to everyday.
I then asked them using my questionnaire and series of questions; one being what they would like to see in a psychological thriller, nearly all of them said suspense or death and blood, one that makes you really think. So with their list of most popular everyday uses I have added a few to my film, including laptops, phones and school equipment as well as music.
Usually in a psychological thriller, the target audience is those who are above the age of 18 and this is because of some of the characters may have psychological illnesses that younger viewers would find disturbing. However, for my film Forgotten Pieces, I have lowered my target audience to 15 because there is not going to be so much bloody scenes. My character does in the end go insane after loosing everything, and commits suicide – not that you see her commit suicide just her feet hanging, meaning it is suitable for slightly younger teens.





Past research has shown that women are more attracted to psychological thrillers, because they enjoy the mystery and story behind events that take place in thriller films.
My script research has come from many different things, the first from looking at thriller scripts online. I found that the website:
http://www.simplyscripts.com/genre/thriller-scripts.html was really helpful, as it gave me lots of different thriller scripts to look up. I used the scripts from 13 Ghosts, and Sixth Sense to help me, and I realised when and where I had to make things bold, or stand out more by putting them into caps. I never realised how hard writing a script could be, how much you actually have to include. I also looked at what my target audience would like to see in a thriller film, and used that in my script. As well as making the dialogue modern but still sounding posh or proper English at some parts as the school is for the elite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bsTo
start off with, I had to think of what type of genre I wanted my film to be, whether it was just a horror ( which I was informed is a very popular choice) or if I wanted it to be a thriller. I decided to look up what was needed in terms of codes and conventions for a thriller, but when I looked I found that there were so many different types of thriller: my one, I decided would be a psychological one, one that plays with the mind and makes you shake with suspense. So I then looked up what I would need for a psychological thriller and found these;
Codes and Conventions of a Thriller movie
I also looked then, at similar style films. Either with an instrument as the main focus ( the piano) or with psychological issues, and found:
Shutter island
The Pianist
Black Swan
Suicide Room

1 comment:

  1. Great start Shannon, as we discussed in your feedback interview, you now need to conduct some questionaires etc. You also need to further justify your target audience.

    ReplyDelete